Roles & Responsibilities
Possibly the first all pre-cast concrete building in the world, the Gary Bathing Beach Bathhouse, on the Lake Michigan Shore, was built in 1920, then closed to the public due to deferred maintenance issues in 1971. Reopened and renamed “Aquatorium” 20 years later, the city appropriated funds in 1998 for a partial restoration. Along with restoring the upper flooring and railing balustrades, and adding new entry gates and interior landscaping, Lee Companies, experts of Municipal & Institutional Restoration managed the construction of the new Tuskegee Airmen wing, preserving the original style of the building. After meetings with city officials, experts and historians, the addition was constructed on the original foundation. Original T-Blocks were analyzed so that new T-Blocks would match their composition — we even included the same marble dust aggregate from the same quarry as the original blocks.